The Insanely Precious, Ordinary Moments of a Life

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Upward Mobility

I've been thinking for some time about getting the words "Oh well" permanently inscribed onto my person,
maybe beneath the thumbnail I regularly chew to a tender nub.

How would it change my life to learn that
I
am a crazy, cosmic miracle?

....Because,  I am. We are miracle people in a miracle land.

As far as we can see (which is not far at all), life such as this is somewhat unique.   Our time here is indefinite, which makes it incredibly valuable.  This knowledge of our mortality can incite unbearable pressure to thoroughly enjoy every moment, which is not possible.   Life is a free gift, and no one is monitoring your use of time but you. 

What is the point of all this?

I  guess I just want to try, when I become aware that I am comparing myself to others; when I am holding myself against standards that I have not invented, that do not even interest me- that I am now
and always have been free to choose not to participate.

We seem to be told that success is achieving, after much hard work (and purely by our own merit, of course), wealth/prestige/physical attractiveness... Basically, 'having what you want'. Whenever I think about what I want, I begin to feel my life is lacking, I AM lacking. It begins a never ending search for more... of what?

Getting what you want will not satisfy you.

Want what you have.

This place you are
right now.





No comments:

Post a Comment